How can I set up my Marantz for surround sound?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DukeLukem
Occasional Contributor

How can I set up my Marantz for surround sound?

I've got a decent setup, Samsung 50" Smart TV, Marantz AV7005 Pre Amp, and Macintosh loudspeakers. Any advice on how I can improve this set up?

L_LCR80_1.png

Accepted Solutions
LukeMar
Occasional Contributor

Re: How can I set up my Marantz for surround sound?

Hey, thats good information.  I think you can also do some stuff around your 5.1 surrond setup. 

All your electronics and speakers will need connecting together and, as with a stereo system, cable quality affects the sound you'll hear. Go for the best leads you can afford. Pay particular attention to the cables that carry video signals: some folks won't notice a slight imbalance or lack of quality in the sound but nobody needs to be an expert to spot a problem or fall-off in quality in a TV picture.

have a look at this

View solution in original post

All Replies
LukeMar
Occasional Contributor

You don't need a surround sound amplifier to improve the quality of sound while you watch TV. Simply by connecting a pair of interconnects to the line outputs of your DVD, TV or VCR to a spare pair of line inputs on your hi-fi system, you can dramatically enhance your viewing pleasure. For even better sound, follow steps 2 and 3 below.

DukeLukem
Occasional Contributor

Cool, thanks. I also did some research and find this info was helpful. Start by deciding where the TV or screen is going. The front (left and right) speakers need to be placed either side of that, about 1.5m away from it. The centre channel should be as close to the screen as possible - either directly above or below it. If you can place it as near to the same height as the left and right speakers, so much the better. The rear speakers should be behind the spot where you'll sit while watching: the left on the left of the sofa, as viewed from behind, the right on the right, and the rear centre (if you have one) in the middle. If your seating is really close to the rear wall, try placing the rear speakers alongside the seat but pointing backwards. And if you have to compromise on speaker positioning, make sure it's with the rear speakers, which aren't as important as the fronts. Subwoofers: ''stick 'em anywhere'' say some pundits, ''because bass isn't directional so you can't tell where it's coming from.'' Others disagree so it's worthwhile trying them in several different places in the room to see where you think they work best. Don't just listen to the bass: listen to the whole sound and judge where it seems the most cohesive and ''together''.
LukeMar
Occasional Contributor

Hey, thats good information.  I think you can also do some stuff around your 5.1 surrond setup. 

All your electronics and speakers will need connecting together and, as with a stereo system, cable quality affects the sound you'll hear. Go for the best leads you can afford. Pay particular attention to the cables that carry video signals: some folks won't notice a slight imbalance or lack of quality in the sound but nobody needs to be an expert to spot a problem or fall-off in quality in a TV picture.

have a look at this

LukeMar
Occasional Contributor

Hey this is great, thanks forthe info